We have the following doc in our build jobs - it's been part of our process
for years. The relevant script is called BPXISETS and is part of the build
of the version root setup. (Note we have a version root per LPAR currently (
but that is changing) and we have /etc and /var mounted with a separate
version per system )  and.  I also see that the serverpac jobs include a
reference to the Migration Guide and using your customized versions of /etc
and /var.

Now you have me hunting further doc on our process !

//*
//*  Unmount /service/etc AND /service/var
//*
//*  This step unmounts the filesystems mounted at the
//*  /service/etc and /service/var mountpoints.
//*
//*  Filesystem mountpoints have to be at directories.  But when
//*  'etc' and 'var' filesystems are mounted on a running system,
//*  they are NOT mounted at /etc and /var, they are mounted at
//*  '/&SYSNAME./etc' and '/&SYSNAME./var'.  On the running
//*  system, /etc and  /var must be dynamic symbolic links.
//*
//*  Therefore, the job that builds the Version Root filesystems
//*  from /service must first convert /service/etc and
//*  /service/var to be symbolic links. In order to do this
//*  /service/etc and /service/var must be first unmounted.

Jerry Whitteridge
Lead Systems Programmer
Safeway Inc.
925 951 4184