The following is part of a discussion that I started by posting a link
to this Wall Street Journal opinion piece by Gordon Crovitz on
proposals for the International Telecommunications Union to have more
authority over the Internet -
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303822204577470532859210296.html.
It is available for free without logging in.  In it Vinton Cerf
(influential in the start of the Internet and now with Google) also is
mentioned as being concerned.  Since all of us on ibm-main use the
Internet and we are more involved with computers I believe some of us
here might be able to comment more cogently than I can on the issues.

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:31:36 -0700, Access Bob wrote:
(Access Bob is a consultant on accessibility issues primarily in the
transit field and in the case of W3C he is involved in issues of
computer use by the blind, deaf, motion impaired, etc.)

>I am a member of a W3C subcommittee (the W3C is the world wide web
>consortium www.W3C.org which sets the internet standards) if any of this
>were true I am sure we would be being asked to write code that might
>comply, we are not and in fact we work VERY hard to keep the internet
>open and "WORLD WIDE"  it is a daunting task with so many companies
>trying to control the net and a few countries talking about it but so
>far it seems to be working.  all discussions and proposed standards or
>reccomended practices are open and avaliable at the above web site.  BTW
>countries are not members of the W3C only individuals, cream rises to
>the top among their peers, and become committee chairs, they represent
>an almost world wide spectrum of individuals.
>
>based on the basic makeup of the W3C and as established it would be
>almost impossible to regulate, the W3C sets standards. but has no
>authority to enforce them, and this is intentional.

The W3C would continue to function as is, I think, under the
proposals.  This proposal is to put the actual transmissions under the
control of the International Telecommunications Union.  Vincent Cerf,
one of the founders of the Web has expressed concern about this. There
is a proposal to measure Internet traffic across borders and bill the
originating country as is currently done with telephone calls.  The
ITU is like many other bodies in this world, almost unknown to the
general public working in an area of importance but rarely newsworthy.
The interpretation by Gordon Crovitz on the proposals may be an
overreaction and the Dutch document on http://wcitleaks.org/ seems to
have only mild concern about some of the proposals.  Those interested
in pursuing this can check documents on http://wcitleaks.org/.
http://files.wcitleaks.org/public/ETNO%20C109.pdf may or may not raise
concern and on the face seems reasonable but who is the sender in this
scenario?
http://files.wcitleaks.org/public/Sixth%20CWG%20-%20TD-43%20Summary.pdf
gives a summary of some of the issues that might cause concern.

This may be a tempest in a teapot or there may be real areas of
concern.  The problem in general with regulatory bodies is that we
need many things to be regulated though not necessarily all that are
regulated.  Because of this there are more bodies than any of us can
keep track of including whoever is president, governor, or secretary
general of the United Nations.  They wield power in ways we may or may
not approve.  I suspect I am not alone in having little knowledge of
the ITU which is just one of many organizations needed to look after
the plumbing in our society.  I selected 3 articles found by Google on
Vinton Cerf's testimony.  The Register is a British Information
Technology web site.  I know nothing about webpronews and cio.com is a
web-site aimed at Chief Information Officers and I recognize the IDG.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/07/ from the Register disagrees
with Vinton Cerf and is of the tempest in teapot opinion.
http://www.webpronews.com/vint-cerf-united-nations-2012-06 has a more
favorable take on Cerf's stand.  http://www.cio.com/article/707401/
\US_Tech_Leaders_Fear_Proposed_Internet_Regulations_Taxes_At_ITU_Meeting?page=2&taxonomyId=3061
seems to support the Cerf statements.  While many involved and
agreeing with Vinton Cerf and Gordon Crovitz seem to be conservative
or libertarian, this is something that those who understand these
matters more than I do and are interested in the Internet should be
following.

Clark Morris