John,

Interesting point. The programmer is clearly off base. I would ask if you would A. Just have the system ignore it (which it does) and not give a message or B. JCL the job. Long ago and far away I wrote code to comment out any jobcat/ stepcat. Since we had standards not to allow it the programmers could not use it (I had a secret work around that changed everyday). Now that IBM officially doesn't allow it I thought I was happy to be 20+ years ahead in the curve.

Ed

On Jun 19, 2012, at 7:40 AM, McKown, John wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
[mailto:IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 7:19 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: IEBPTPCH questions
<snip>
Sure, it makes sense if one has learned of better techniques
elsewhere.
I get paid well for my meager JCL skills.  The experience is
nonetheless
unpleasant.  One can hate a shovel used to dig a trench when one
knows what could be done with a backhoe.

JCL is about 40 years old.  The art has advanced much since then,
yet IBM provides no alternative with similar capability but greater
ease of use.

-- gil

To me, there is one major problem with a JCL replacement, if it requires changing the control blocks created from the JCL. And it is called "job restart software". That is, software such as CA-11 or RunTrac or ??? . The thought of doing without an automated restart package simply frightens me. How much would it cost to replace CA-11 with something __brand new and different__? And it must be automated, not dependant on the JCL creators. I have enough problems with JCL errors from some programmers. Perhaps I'm just "lucky" that way.

What is the likelihood of a JCL replacement being accepted? Even if it could increase productivity by 50%+? I've heard of JOL. How many shops use it in production?

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message may contain confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. -The Chesapeake Life Insurance Company(r), Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company.SM