Thanks, Phil.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] Im Auftrag
von Phil Smith
Gesendet: Montag, 9. Juli 2012 15:11
An: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Betreff: Re: Secure Encryption Keys vs Protected Keys

David Stokes wrote:
>As I understand it CPACF is basically some hardware instructions you can
>invoke from assembler code (I've been using AES128 and SHA1  for our
>inter-system communication software for quite some time). CEXx is a subsystem
>which can only be accessed via various APIs (ICSF). Although  CPACF now
>supports protected keys, this probably in practice requires use of ICSF and a
>CEX3 facility. While one can no doubt load CPACF protected keys oneself it
>makes little sense to me to use protected key without secure key and the
>feature is more intended to improve the efficiency and security of the CEX
>operations, I guess.

Yes, Protected Key requires ICSF and a CEX. You need secure keys to be able to
use protected key - that is, you have to have a secure key to wrap in order to
get a protected key to use protected key.

CPACF is a combination of silicon and millicode.

>That said, the CPACF MSA functions  are synchronous, and get executed like any
>other hardware instructions (more or less). Although there is no doubt a
>little bit of setup when the keys are clear text  there's no great overhead. I
>would not expect  the size of blocks to be such a major consideration above a
>sensible minimum size, as seems to be borne out by the white paper. The
>operations are just for symmetric encryption and hash generation (and PRNG).

Yes, it's synchronous, and (unsurprisingly) is a fairly expensive instruction.

>CEX otoh is accessed via a queuing mechanism. It is asynchronous and suspends
>the executing work unit until the crypto-operation is complete (along with
>encrypting and decrypting keys etc). Obviously this is an enormous overhead
>compared to MSA and the size of data would play a much more significant role.
>Of course it also does a lot more like handling SSL protocols, asymmetric
>encryption and protecting crypto-keys. Costs you more cash as well.

>Interested to know if this is a reasonable summary (if this has all
>been discussed in previous parts of the thread, then sorry)

Yes. And yes. :)
--
...phsiii