On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The acceptability of length limitations depends upon their values.
>

> Passwords or userids that may be at most 8 characters in length are
> unacceptable today.

Passwords, yes; userids, meh -- I don't consider a userid to be a secure
data point.

 A limitation to at most  2^15 - 1 = 32767 characters is, in my view
> at least, unobjectionable.  Larger limitations like this one are often
> reflections of control-block overflow problems in some procedural
> language.  These limitations can be circumvented, but the
> concatenation schemes that do so are very tedious.

Seriously? You have 32K passwords? Or is that a "Nah, nobody would ever
want anything CLOSE to this, so let's use this and forget about it" value?
(I'm tempted to quote the "64K is enough" thing, but this is clearly
different, since no human would ever use keys that large!) Or are you
thinking of machine-to-machine interactions, which might indeed use very
long keys (though I don't want to have to deal with them when they break)?
--
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"