On 16 Jul 2012 09:00:40 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>The acceptability of length limitations depends upon their values.
>
>Passwords or userids that may be at most 8 characters in length are
>unacceptable today.

Has IBM changed that limitation for standard TSO and CICS login.  I
also have a problem with using special characters in passwords unless
I know they are stable across code pages.  In EBCDIC the US dollar
sign becomes the pound sterling sign in Britain and the yen sign in
Japan.  If you believe that user-ids should be larger than 7
characters or even 8, then what are the implications for SMF records
and various control blocks in z/OS?  I think that you have to use LDAP
or something similar to have passwords larger than 8 bytes in z/OS.

Clark Morris