this is exactly why I did not respond
another shop "getting off MF" but in mean time stopped paying for HW SW
support etc
I guess its time and materials

From:       Mark Jacobs <mark.jac...@custserv.com>
To:         IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU,
Date:       07/16/2012 02:46 PM
Subject:    Re: Urgent help needed - Message ISN000E
Sent by:    IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Sounds like their management has a problem then.

Mark Jacobs

On 07/16/12 14:42, peter novack wrote:
> OK, here's the story so far:
>   We've tried IPLing a few times, and later performed a power-on-reset,
but still got the message a few hours later.
>   Unfortunately, they do not have official IBM support (assuming they
would even support such old machines), and I don't think that's about to
change, given the ongoing migration to open systems.
>   I still can't find anything interesting in the logs and I am running
out of ideas.
>   The only thing we could think about that might be related is a power
failure we suffered a day before the message appeared for the first time.

Europe. Their main business activity runs on a couple of Z900 machines
(z/OS 1.6). One is for production and the other for development. Like many
organizations, they've been trying to get rid of the Mainframe for years
now, so far with very little progress... A few hours ago, we got a very
strange message on the development machine: "ISN000E The service processor
has failed. Some critical system functions are inoperative. An orderly
shutdown of the entire system should be planned in order to minimize the
possible impact of this failure." I thought I might be able to find
something that might explain this in the syslog, but it showed nothing out
of the ordinary. We tried IPLing but got the error message again. After a
short (and rather panicked) discussion with the operations manager, and
considering the documented instruction to shut down the system, we've
decided to take down all LPARs. Naturally, they are ve
>   ry disturbed about this message, and the required system shutdown that
followed. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? My client and I would
highly appreciate any hints/tips on the root cause of this...
IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to

Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service
Tampa, FL
----

The Doctor: You know when grown-ups tell you everything's going to be
fine, and you think they're probably lying to make you feel better?
Young Amy: Yes.
The Doctor: Everything's going to be fine.