Hi all,

I work as a consultant in a small installation in Eastern Europe.
 Their main business activity runs on a couple of Z900 machines (z/OS 1.6).
 One is for production and the other for development.

 Like many organizations, they've been trying to get rid of the Mainframe for
years now, so far with very little progress...
 A few hours ago, we got a very strange message on the development machine:
 "ISN000E The service processor has failed. Some critical system functions are
inoperative.
 An orderly shutdown of the entire system should be planned in order to
minimize the possible impact of this failure."

 I thought I might be able to find something that might explain this in the
syslog, but it showed nothing out of the ordinary.
 We tried IPLing but got the error message again.
 After a short (and rather panicked) discussion with the operations manager,
and considering the documented instruction to shut down the system, we've
decided to take down all LPARs.
 Naturally, they are very disturbed about this message, and the required system
shutdown that followed.

 Any thoughts on what might be causing this?
 My client and I would highly appreciate any hints/tips on the root cause of
this...