On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 13:31:07 -0400, zMan wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM, John Gilmore wrote:
>
>> Passwords or userids that may be at most 8 characters in length are
>> unacceptable today.
>
>Passwords, yes; userids, meh -- I don't consider a userid to be a secure
>data point.

It's not a matter of security; rather that many IT departments nowadays
have a standard of 8-character userids.  IBM is a tail that can no longer
wag that dog; the CIO can cite refusal to comply with corporate standards
as one more strike against z/OS in a purchase decision.

And ID administration must be via LDAP from the corporate standard
Linux server.  There are 3rd party products that enable this; none AFAIK
for 8-character userids.

Hmm... what's the length limit of aliases in USERIDALIASTABLE?  Is
USERIDALIASTABLE processed for connections to FTP server, or only
for logins?  Does it affect the output of getpwuid()?  Etc.?

    http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/bpxzb2c0/3.7.4.5

-- gil