From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Gilmore
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:36 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Help with elementary CPU speed question

Rob Scott has pointed you in the right direction.

Worth emphasizing is that CP-SU ratios are most useful for botionally
'scientific' , CP-intensive applications.

Many 'business' applications are I/O-bound, some of them--MFUs are the
classic example--to the extent that shrinking CP processing to zero
has little measurable effect upon residence time.

In I/O bound situations CP-SU ratios may be irrelevant or, worse, misleading.

This old distinction is often lost sight of here because mainframe
'scientific' processing does not figure much in our discussions.  It
remains important.

More generally, useful performance analysis requires years of
experience with a platform, its software, the use of appropriate
measurement software, and considerable statistical prowess.  Absent
this skill set, it is easy to make a fool of oneself and all but
impossible to make useful contributions.

attachments from your system.