From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Marna WALLE
Sent: Monday, 23 July, 2012 11:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: healthCheck search

Hello All,
If you want the definitive way to see every IBM Health Check for z/OS health
check that has been put into the service stream, you'll need to use the SMP/E
FIXCAT IBM.Function.HealthChecker.   Of course, those that are introduced in a
product's release will not have this FIXCAT, but it will tell you about the
ones introduced (or associated with introductions) of a health check in the
service stream.

Now, for the one at hand  - ZOSMIGV1R13_ZFS_FILESYS - the one I think of as the
most important health check if you are migrating to z/OS R13!  Since this was a
health check specifically written for z/OS migration (we know that because it
starts with "ZOSMIG"), then you can look for more information about it in the
z/OS Migration book.  (The IBM Health Checker for z/OS User's Guide does
contain all the information about z/OS checks, and it really should have
mentioned which APAR it was introduced in, but I'll do an RCF for that and get
it fixed.)  The z/OS Migration book does contain the APAR number that
introduced this check (OA35465).  It also says that this APAR applies to z/OS
R11 and R12 - making sense, since this is for a migration to z/OS R13.

I did verify that the PTF for OA35465 (which was only one PTF since the zFS
FMID is the same FMID for z/OS R11 and R12), has the FIXCAT for
IBM.Function.HealthChecker as expected.  Also, there was a defect APAR written
against this check with APAR OA36514.  That PTF also has the FIXCAT
IBM.Function.HealthChecker as expected, since it is associated with a health
check.  So, using the REPORT MISSINGFIX for IBM.Function.HealthChecker will
work fine here.

Now, sometimes we happen to include migration health checks in the coexistence
APARs for lower level releases.  This makes sense to do when you think about it
- the health check goes back to the same releases that have coexistence for the
release you are migrating to, and the health check is applicable there too.
With this is mind, do not be alarmed if a PTF has both a FIXCAT for the
migration health check (IBM.Function.HealthChecker) *AND* for coexistence
(IBM.Coexistence.z/OS.V1R13).  When you do your REPORT MISSINGFIX for both
these categories, you may be able to satisfy anything missing with a single
PTF.    I'm just adding this in, as some people may not know that a PTF can
have multiple FIXCATs associated with it.  This doesn't change anything I've
already said above.

I did just want to expand a little on Mark's sample SMP/E statements for using
REPORT MISSINGFIX for verification of both coexistence and target system
requirements...I suggest also adding IBM.Function.HealthChecker to that list,
so that you can make sure when you have your coexistence PTFs installed on
those lower level systems for migration, that you ALSO have the migration
health checks installed in one fell swoop.  Just a little time saver.

-Marna WALLE
z/OS System Install
IBM Poughkeepsie