On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 08:39:35 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>Address ISREDIT does not in general require quotes either. The quotes
>are only needed because you want constants with special characters.

And remembering that Rexx considers lower case characters "special".

>Had you wanted, e.g.,
>
>  Address ISREDIT F NEXT
>
>then you wouldn't have needed quotes, assuming that you haven't
>assigned values to F or NEXT.

And assuming you're not trapping references to undefined variables.

>By "IPCS call" and "ISREDIT call" do you mean expressions beginning
>with IPCS or ISREDIT? If so, it's indirect. OTOH, if you mean
>expressions recognized by IPCS or ISREDIT, then it's direct.
>
> Address ISREDIT
> ISREDIT foo            /* indirect */
> foo                    /* direct   */

Do these have different semantics?

>No; there's a clash between the way ISPF works and your preconceptions
>about how it works. From an ISPF and CLIST perspective, REXX is just a
>consumer of strings; how it interprets those string is beyond the
>scope of the scripting language.

If ISPF assumes that an ampersand in a command string has special
meaning to the scripting language to the scripting language, and
allows its behavior to be influenced by that (sometimes incorrect)
assumption, ISPF is overstepping its proper scope.

But I'm accustomed to accessing script variables (in Rexx) by
coding their names in parentheses, e.g.:

    ILine = 42
    '(L) = LINE' ILine

Is this yet another convention?  Is it not sufficient?  Why do we
need idiosyncratic treatment of ampersands also?

-- gil