In <500bf711.2040...@bcs.org.uk>, on 07/22/2012
   at 01:50 PM, CM Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk> said:

>Unless I misunderstand what you mean by 'CALL-like', REXX is
>calling ISREDIT

No, REXX is calling ISPEXEC, which in turn is calling ISREDIT. To call
ISREDIT directly, change the operand of the ADDRESS statement and
change the command text accordingly, e.g.,

  Address ISREDIT
  "MACRO (MEM) NOPROCESS"
  Address ISPEXEC
  "CONTROL ERRORS RETURN"
  Address ISREDIT
  "SCAN OFF"
  "F ALL 'DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE'                        "
  "F ALL 'DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE&PDQR'                   "
  "F ALL 'DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE&PDQR.'                  "
  "F ALL 'DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE&PDQR.('                 "

or

  Address ISREDIT "MACRO (MEM) NOPROCESS"
  Address ISPEXEC "CONTROL ERRORS RETURN"
  Address ISREDIT "SCAN OFF"
  Address ISREDIT "F ALL 'DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE'             "
  Address ISREDIT "F ALL 'DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE&PDQR'     "
  Address ISREDIT "F ALL 'DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE&PDQR.'    "
  Address ISREDIT "F ALL 'DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE&PDQR.('   "

>I suspect that this is because edit macros were originally
>written in Clist,

Perhaps, but could it not have been for consistency with panel
definitions?

>Apart from that, there are lots of things wrong with ISPF (starting
>from ESA onwards and getting worse);

What changes made things worse, other than dropping certain
components?