In <2452754326666281.wa.paulgboulderaim....@listserv.ua.edu>, on
07/23/2012
   at 03:55 PM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> said:

>As I stated initially, one of my motives was portability.  In a
>conventional UNIX system, processes needn't register to receive
>SIGTERM.

In a conventional Unix system, applications are written to expect
SIGTERM. That is not the case in z/OS.

>Likewise, it should be unnecessary in z/OS UNIX (USS).

It's not necessary in Unformatted System Services. It is necessary in
z/OS that you not arbitrarily terminated all of the address spaces
that have been dubbed. Given the behavior of SIGTERM, it is not
appropriate to use it as a global shutdown mechanism for address
spaces that are not expecting it.

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>