"How can I go about submitting a requirement for z/OS to acknowledge and handle
the same external interrupt as VM, VSE and Linux use to trigger a controlled
shutdown (or at least acknowledge it by printing a message we can capture via
console automation and trigger the shutdown ourselves)? "

David, the best way to submit a requirement is through Share. Anyone can submit
a requirement. Share has a new website that you'll need to sign up for, but you
don't have to be a Share member.
http://reqs4.share.org/Reqs4Who.jsp  is the link to the requirements system.

You can also submit a MR (Marketing Requirement) through your IBM Rep.

IBM has had a renewed focus on Share requirements over the last couple of
years.

If you need assistance, please feel free to contact me off list.

Mary Anne