Von: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] Im Auftrag
von Anne & Lynn Wheeler
Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. Juli 2012 23:10
An: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Betreff: Re: Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented the Internet?

sto...@interchip.de (David Stokes) writes:
> The virus vulnerability (and number of spambots and DOS attack bots)
> on the Internet is much more a function of the Operating Systems of
> the user nodes connected to the Internet than of the Internet itself.
> Much of the current problem stems from early MS Windows design
> philosophy, which didn't take the Internet seriously and implicitly
> assumed networking and data sharing would would only involve local
> networking where all parties had benign intent; so, MS made it easy
> for machines to share active content that could access and alter
> content on remote machines or even initiate remote programs on other
> machines, and put the integrity management burden on end users without
> providing any tools to make management possible.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#83 Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented
the Internet?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#84 Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented
the Internet?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#87 Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented
the Internet?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#88 Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented
the Internet?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#89 Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented
the Internet?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#90 Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented
the Internet?

early days of desktop computing was stand-alone machines ... with some number
of applications (like games) evolving that effectively took over whole machine.
later small business (safe) local-area-networks also evolved for desktop
machines. in both these environments, desktop machines didn't have any
countermeasures for attacks or compromises.

for the small business, safe, local-area-networks ... convention developed
where automatic scripting (typically basic) was added to application-specific
(mostly business) data files ... these files would be exchanged on the small
business, safe, LAN environment ... where applications would automatically
execute the embedded scripts included in the data files.

at the 1996 MSDC conference at Moscone ... all the banners were proclaiming
support for the internet ... however he subtheme in all the sessions were
"protecting your investment" ... basically paradigm of automatic execution of
embedded scripts in application data files would continue ... and there would
be simple retargeting of the small, safe LAN support to the internet (with no
additional countermeasures for attacks or compromises)

I've periodically used the analogy of going out the airlock in open space w/o a
spacesuit.

Before he disappeared, Jim Gray had con'ed me into interviewing for position of
chief security architect in Redmond. The interview went on over a period of
serveral weeks but we were never able to come to agreement ... i even used the
above description describing the situation (lack of countermeasures) during the
interview process.

a few past posts mentioning 1996 MSDC at Moscone:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008r.html#26 realtors (and GM, too!)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#63 who pioneered the WEB
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010g.html#66 What is the protocal for GMT offset
in SMTP (e-mail) header
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010h.html#37 (slightly OT - Linux) Did IBM bet on
the wrong OS?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010j.html#36 Favourite computer history books?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010p.html#9 The IETF is probably the single
element in the global equation of technology competition than has resulted in
the INTERNET
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010p.html#40 The Great Cyberheist
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011c.html#50 IBM and the Computer Revolution
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011d.html#58 IBM and the Computer Revolution
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011f.html#15 Identifying Latest zOS Fixes
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011f.html#57 Are Tablets a Passing Fad?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011o.html#59 The lost art of real programming
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011p.html#141 With cloud computing back to old
problems as DDos attacks
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#81 The PC industry is heading for collapse
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#93 Where are all the old tech workers?

and few past posts using empty space w/o spacesuit
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010n.html#77 ZeuS attacks mobiles in bank SMS
bypass scam
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010q.html#19 E-commerce and Internet Security: Why
Walls Don't Work