On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 11:32:19 -0400, Gord Tomlin wrote:

>While there is an RFC (I'm not going to hunt for the number on a Sunday)
>that specifies that bottom posting is "correct", as a reader I find
>bottom posting to be hugely counterproductive. When reading a thread in
>order, bottom posting requires the reader to scroll past what has
>already been written. The longer the thread gets, the more painful this
>becomes. I do not use the web interface, so I am not aware of the
>problems its users are encountering, but bottom posting is enough of an
>annoyance for me in my email client.

RFCs of the same vintage also deprecate quoting the entire preceding
thread in each ply.  This was almost self-enforcing when bandwidth
and storage were expensive.  I have always followed that practice.

Perhaps LISTSERVs and Majordomos are obsolete and should be
replaced by blogs or wikis.

Painful?  What's painful?  With a good reader, scrolling to the bottom
is a single keystroke.

-- gil