On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:31:13 +1000, NAIDOO, Raleigh wrote:

>SSBoYXZlIGNvbmZpZ3VyZWQgc2Z0cCB0byBydW4gdW5kZXIgVVNTIG9uIG15IHovT1MgVjEuMTEg
>c3lzdGVtLiBUaGUgcGh5c2ljYWwgSEZTIGZpbGUgc3lzdGVtIGFzc29jaWF0ZWQgd2l0aCBzZnRw

Awwww.  C'mon!

Are you using the "df -v" command to investigate this further?

As long as any process holds a file open, its space is not released,
even after it's unlinked.  I would not expect sftp to misbehave in
this respect.  But do you have other processes, perhaps batch jobs,
that may be holding files open?  I believe there's a utility (fuser?
perhaps on the Tools and Toys page?) that shows open files.  But
I don't know whether it reports unlinked files.

-- gil