Storage protection in other OSes:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:09:07 -0600, Steve Comstock wrote:

>> Sigh.  I keep forgetting (wishful thinking?) what a primitive OS z/OS is;
>> that it provides no simple way a program can protect its storage from
>> meddling by others.  z/OS still thinks it's running on a s/360.
>
>I never saw an answer from you regarding my question for some examples
>of how other non-primitive OS's provide a "simple way a program can
>protect its storage from meddling by others"

We're both familiar with UNIX, which classically runs each process in
a separate address space.  How much simpler or more effective
could it be?  Likewise z/VM.

z/OS UNIX (USS) has compromised that classic UNIX model for reasons
of performance, running multiple processes in shared address spaces.
But I suspect (with no evidence whatever) that Linux for z can run
a number of processes in private address spaces with better performance
than USS can run the same processes in shared address spaces.

-- gil