On 31/07/2012 12:09 PM, Steve Comstock wrote:
On 7/24/2012 9:16 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:05:00 +0300, Binyamin Dissen wrote:

:>Why have such a special list rather than merely verifying that the program
:>resides in an APF authorized library and was linked with AC=1?

Because a program expecting to be a job-step task may be spoofable, allocate
storage in a key where parallel tasks can update it, etc.

Sigh. I keep forgetting (wishful thinking?) what a primitive OS z/OS is;
that it provides no simple way a program can protect its storage from
meddling by others.  z/OS still thinks it's running on a s/360.

-- gil

Paul,

I never saw an answer from you regarding my question for some examples
of how other non-primitive OS's provide a "simple way a program can
protect its storage from meddling by others"

Off the top of my head thread-local-storage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread-local_storage.
On POSIX systems mprotect(), pthread_getspecfic()/setspefic().