On Aug 8, 2012, at 06:06, R.S. wrote:

> .... BTW: your allocation request was
> illogical - you wanted to have 80-byte records and requested 1 byte.
> Such request has to be re-interpreted or canceled. ;-)

I believe the block specification is an average.  As such, it's
not required to be a multiple of LRECL.  If half the blocks are
80 bytes and half are 160, an average of 120 is possible.
Granted, 1 can never occur, not even as an average.  I suppose
allocation simply calculates the tracks necessary to hold the
requested number of 1-byte blocks plus gaps.  It might be a
courtesy for allocation to issue a warning, but how much
validity checking should it be expected to perform?

What about RECFM=VB?  What's the smallest valid block?  9?
8?  4?  (That would be a BDW with no records.)  Does "Using
Data Sets" allow this?  I bet I could write one with BSAM;
I wonder how QSAM would handle reading it?

-- gil