On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 14:06:04 +0200, R.S. wrote:

> .... BTW: your allocation request was
> illogical - you wanted to have 80-byte records and requested 1 byte.
> Such request has to be re-interpreted or canceled. ;-)

As in:

    DD  LRECL=80,SPACE=(1,...),...

Seveal contributors argued that there was no way a 1-byte block
could be written if LRECL=80, and the construct should result in
an error.

The JCL RM says:

    blklgth -- (only if AVGREC is not coded)
        Specifies the average block length of the data, in bytes.
        The blklgth is a decimal number from 0 through 65535.

Really!?  In fact by experiment, in JCL:

    DD SPACE=(0,1),...

and in TSO

    ALLOCATE AVBLOCK(0) ...

are both accepted without complaint.  I suppose allocation adds a
count and an IBG; divides track size by that; takes the ceiling and
requests the resulting number of tracks (almost certainly 1).  I have
little problem with that.  I haven't investigated whether SPACE=(0,99999)
allocates fewer tracks than SPACE=(1,99999).  It's possible that integer
arithmetic or 32-byte chunking gives the same result for both.

Perhaps I'll start coding SPACE=(0,1) in JCL to allocate minimal
data sets, just to startle readers.

-- gil