At one time (haven't checked currently) there are several disk utilities (CA-DISK and DMS (or what ever the name is now) used to do this nicely. We used this (as well) to make changes in the DSCB's for trk/cyl changes etc etc.. check to see you may have a product that already does it.

Ed

On Aug 14, 2012, at 4:29 PM, Lizette Koehler wrote:

That should work for Seq files. But if you have a PDS then you might need to do a bit more with a member name.

OPEN definately sets a new last ref date. I was hoping Naviquest might be usable for this process, but I have not found anything yet.

Lizette

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Hare <tim.h...@ssrc.myflorida.com>
Sent: Aug 14, 2012 2:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How to update the last referenced date in the VTOC

Don't know how super-efficient it is, but use DCOLLECT input (or FDREPORT extract if you have FDREPORT), then in Rexx under IKJEFT01

Read a record
set dataset_name_variable to the DSN
If you're worried about uncataloged also set unit and volume variable

"ALLOC FI(X) DA("dataset_name_variable") SHR REUSE" <== add UNIT and VOLUME if necessary
"EXECIO 0 DISKR X (OPEN"
"EXECIO 0 DISKW X (FINIS"

in a loop until end of file on the input. You can of course use program logic to just filter the volumes and/or datasets you want.

This is based on the concept (fact, I believe) that it last referenced date is set by OPEN.