Scott Fagen wrote at length about PMR/APAR/PTF.

One thing I've found interesting after 25+ years at various vendors is that
IBM's model seems to work the best in the real world: Multiple PMRs can funnel
into one APAR; one APAR can funnel into multiple PTFs. If an APAR is taken and
turns out to be a duplicate, it gets closed as a DUP. This beats the mess of
trying to map two (or one!) layers of ticket to multiple releases, etc., etc.

Of course, HONE was a huge effort, and only IBM could have done it back then.
But I'm always amazed at the number of systems that exist today that are
single-level and have no good way to even funnel into others.

Ok, now I feel Really Old.

...phsiii