A zero-PDS system?

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 18:54:00 -0300, Clark Morris wrote:

>Can PDSE be in the linklist or lpalist?  If not, this is like IBM not
>having a way for SNA channel attached 3270s as console devices because
>VTAM was set up as a started task.  If PDSE is a basic access method,
>somehow having it as a started task seems weird to me.  Is PDSE a
>reliable access method now with no greater error rate than PDS?

In contrast, in a Galaxy Far, Far Away, I was amazed to see OpenSolaris
boot from ZFS (very different from zFS; GIYF).  I mentioned this to a
Solaris developer who said, "Oh, sure; it just takes about a quarter
megabyte support code in the boot record."  If IBM had a similar
level of commitment to PDSE it would be possible to IPL a system
with _no_ PDS; only PDSE (or even only zFS (that one)).

But it all depends on proper layering; it would require that very
early in Nucleus Initialization components begin using access
methods, not STARTIO nor RYO channel programs.

-- gil