We have reached the usual substantive and linguistic impasse.

EJ writes that

| There are indeed many restrictions, but few of them matter.

My view is different.  I, for example, find longer-than-8-character
names very convenient, indeed essential in table-generation macros
that generate a great many RSECTs.

Moreover, while I do not wish to confound this issue with others, the
continued use of load modules where program objects can be used
instead seems to be to be at best unfortunate and at worst yet another
example of retrograde technology clung to for the usual 'laudator
temporis acti' reasons.

À chacun son goût.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA