>> For that to be an optimum solution, the panels must have been
>>heavy on procedure and light on display.

Exactly. Bizarre or not, panels are programs as well as being a means of
display/data entry. Non-display panels can be quite useful as a sort of
subroutine in dialog applications (there is after all an option to invoke a
panel without displaying it) and also in batch usage, especially if they are
part of an existing ISPF application. Lateral thinking or something maybe.
Optimal? Who knows? Practical? Sometimes. But I'm sure one can bizarrely misuse
the ability as well.