On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 08:49:49 -0700, Skip Robinson wrote:

>Zero space allocation is perfectly valid. As is SPACE (0,1) also. The
>result is just as requested. In either case, the data set exists in the
>VTOC but takes up no space on disk.

Ummm... no.  By experiment, it allocates one track.  There has to
be room for the count field.  And SPACE=(65535,1) allocates
two tracks.  This surprises me.  Does 3390 support blocks spanning
tracks?

Also surprisingly, SPACE=(0,99999) allocates 8,334 tracks;
SPACE=(1,99999) allocates 1,163 tracks.  Did I do something
wrong?  Did someone divide by zero?

>The data set is treated as 'real',
>including GRS enqueue. Hence it can be used like any other exclusively
>held data set to serialize execution.

The data set's being 'real' has little to do with GRS enque.  I can code:

    //GRS      EXEC  PGM=WOMBAT,COND=(0,LE)
    //SERIAL    DD   DISP=OLD,DSN=NONE.SUCH

The data set needn't exist; the step isn't executed; yet I believe
an exclusive ENQ is issued for its name which could be used to
serialize execution.

>From:   Paul Gilmartin
>Date:   08/25/2012 08:27 AM
>
>The JCL RM says:
>
>    blklgth -- (only if AVGREC is not coded)
>        Specifies the average block length of the data, in bytes.
>        The blklgth is a decimal number from 0 through 65535.

-- gil