On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:26:40 -0700, Lizette Koehler wrote:

>What kind of space are you looking for?
>
>LISTC name ALL will provide space info on VSAM but not NON VSAM

It's NONVSAM.

>If you want space on NON VSAM then I think the PDS utility on the CBTTAPE.ORG
>would work.

So I have to go out and get a nonstandard utility ...

>Or create a REXX and use the LM functions to list the space or LISTDSI.

... or go through IKJEFT01; ISPSTART; LM*; ...  Of course, I can do this
easily with foreground ISPF; DSLIST; Info.  But I had set myself the goal
of doing it all in a _simple_ (self-contained) batch job so I could post
here a refutation to the doubter.

Why does MVS make simple things so damned hard!?

OK.  Here's the hybrid solution; batch JCL:

//
//EMPTY     JOB  505303JOB,'Paul Gilmartin',
// MSGLEVEL=(1,1),REGION=0M
//*
//USERC    OUTPUT JESDS=ALL,DEFAULT=YES,
//  CLASS=R,PAGEDEF=V0648Z,CHARS=GT12
//*
//STEP     EXEC  PGM=IEFBR14
//SYSUT0    DD   DISP=(MOD,DELETE),UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(0,1),
//  DSN=&SYSUID..TEMP.ALMOST.EMPTY
//SYSUT2    DD   DISP=(,CATLG),UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(0,1),
//  DSN=&SYSUID..TEMP.ALMOST.EMPTY
//

(de)allocation messages:

IEF142I EMPTY STEP - STEP WAS EXECUTED - COND CODE 0000
IEF285I   user.TEMP.ALMOST.EMPTY                       UNCATALOGED
IEF285I   VOL SER NOS= TSO022.
IEF285I   user.TEMP.ALMOST.EMPTY                       DELETED
IEF285I   VOL SER NOS= TSO022.
IEF285I   user.TEMP.ALMOST.EMPTY                       CATALOGED
IEF285I   VOL SER NOS= TSO005.

and data set info:
                              Data Set Information

 Data Set Name . . . . : user.TEMP.ALMOST.EMPTY

 General Data                           Current Allocation
  Management class . . : **None**        Allocated tracks  . : 1
  Storage class  . . . : **None**        Allocated extents . : 1
   Volume serial . . . : TSO005
   Device type . . . . : 3390
  Data class . . . . . : **None**
   Organization  . . . : NONE           Current Utilization
   Record format . . . : ?               Used tracks . . . . : 0
   Record length . . . : 0               Used extents  . . . : 0
   Block size  . . . . : 0
   1st extent tracks . : 1

... so SPACE=(0,1) does allocate space.

-- gil