On 28 August 2012 10:55, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:49:21 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:
>>>>
>>> Presumably optionally disabled to comply with export restrictions?
>>
>>Is there really anywhere these days you can send a mainframe to that
>>you can't send a crypto processor to? Surely no one in Cuba or Iran
>>can order up a zEC12 in any case, even if a handful of cheap GPUs have
>>more computing power.
>>
> I had thought restrictions applied anywhere outside the U.S. and Canada.
> But I may be operating on outdated misinformation.

I pay little attention to the details of this stuff. Strong crypto is
ubiquitous and cheap, and much of it does not originate in the USA, so
efforts to control its export are doomed. Controlling exports of very
high end reliable computers, on the other hand, may well be both
feasible and effective.

> You forgot North Korea.

I gave only examples, and the list changes from time to time for
political reasons. Does it still include "Taliban controlled areas of
Afghanistan", or would it be impolitic to suggest that such areas
still exist?

Tony H.