Well, we are very "out of date", at least conceptually (and hardware wise). My
manager wants us to IPL at least once a month just so we remember how to; and
to valid that PARMLIB is "in sync" with any dynamic changes (APF and LNKLST
mainly). The shutdown is about 99% automated (sometimes a "glitch" occurs and
I've never figured out why, I can't get the sandbox to fail at all). The
startup is 100% automated. The only time we have a problem is when we change a
PARMLIB member (APF or LNKLST usually) and the startup fails somewhere along
the line (like when CA-7 abended due to a bad PTF causing an S0C4 in production
even though we had no problems on our sandbox).

The IPL stuff was just trying to think about other uses for the Flash. But Pete
Relston proved that it wouldn't help at all, even if we IPL'd weekly. The DB2
and other uses are much more reasonable. IIRC, Hiperspaces used to prefer
residing in Estore. I wonder if IBM will revive that with Flash to allow easy
access for customer written code. Or perhaps they plan to make it an NDA
interface to vendors to increase revenue. <shrug>.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets®

9151 Boulevard 26 • N. Richland Hills • TX 76010
(817) 255-3225 phone •
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com • www.HealthMarkets.com

HealthMarkets® is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the
insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. –The Chesapeake Life Insurance
Company®, Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA
Life and Health Insurance Company.SM

<snip>