Our site used to have datasets fail recall and give an unable to
allocate space messages on very small datasets.  Would fail several
times in one day.  Try it the next and it was able to allocate the
very small amount of space and recall the dataset.  Happened about
every three months for about 2 years.  Hasn't occured in about 4
years.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 12:20:19 -0400, Doug wrote:
>
>>Very large multi volume zFS has in the past, failed allocation trying to
>>allocate the primary extent which was larger than the physical volume. Mainly
>>curious what a good work-around would be. Does not happen often.
>>
> Is DFDSS quite so stupid that when copying a multi volume data set
> it will invoke extent consolidation logic paying no heed to the maximum
> capacity of the target volume, derive a primary extent size larger than
> that capacity,  then fail attempting to allocate that primary extent?
>
> Sounds like a serious design blunder that ought to be remedied.

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA