In <136401cda235$aff94dd0$0febe970$@mcn.org>, on 10/04/2012
   at 09:39 AM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> said:

>Who knows? Because it made sense to the programmer. We put lots of
>empty lines in these e-mails. (Technically they contain one or two
>delimiter characters,

No. Technically the message on the wire contains two delimiter
characters for each line, but there is no constraint on how the lines
are stored, per 1.1.  Scope in RFC 5322

   This specification is intended as a definition of what message
   content format is to be passed between systems.  Though some
   message systems locally store messages in this format (which
   eliminates the need for translation between formats) and others
   use formats that differ from the one specified in this
   specification, local storage is outside of the scope of this
   specification.

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>