When it HSM finishes a recall, it checks the que in order for any
recall on the same tape.  When it reaches the end of the que, it
unmounts the tape, and starts recalling the first waiting dataset on
the que.  Haven't done as massive a quantity as 10,000 though.

No sorting of any kind, just checking the que DSN against the list on
the mounted tape.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Lizette Koehler
<stars...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Just want to make sure I understand what IBM told me once.
>
> Is it true that when you have a large number of recalls (and I am talking
> 10,000 or more at a time) that HSM will identify which ones are on which
> migration tapes and stack them accordingly.  Or is it still a manual process
> of identifying which datasets are on what migration tapes and doing the
> recalls in tape volser bundle?
>
> For example I may have 3000 datasets on tape V00012.  So I would pull a list
> of datasets on that tape and then issue the recall for all of those files in
> one recall bunch.
>
> Or could I recall all 10,000 files and HSM will recall the datasets all from
> the same tape at one time and not do mount tape, unmount tape, mount tape,
> unmount tape and so on.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lizette

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA