As has been stated before, Capacity and Performance is not a casual thing that
you can do over lunch. That being said, you can look at a few things. 100% is
not a bad thing, modern mainframes are designed to run at 100%. The question is
whether things are being delayed. If you have access to RMF data, you can look
at the PI (performance index) of individual service classes over a certain
interval. This is much easier if you have a tool other than RMF, but you have
to use what you have. If the PIs are greater than 1.0, you're being delayed and
that's where you're problem is residing.

Not sure how Workload Manager is being used or configured at your shop. Check
the coefficients value. Oddly enough, a fair number of shops take the default
values (which are wrong) instead of the recommended (which should be the
default, but they're not).

Not sure what type of box you're using (i.e. z9, z10, etc). Is there a defined
capacity set, and is that capacity set higher or lower than the initialization
values? This can wreck all sorts of havoc when the system gets busy.

Are your catalogs loaded into memory?

Kind of difficult to determine where your problem might lie, because it
literally could be anything. Adding processors may or may not help, and could
actually make things worse. Depending on your box type, increasing the number
of processors without increasing the number of MSUs (and thus changing your
classification) will lower the number of MIPS each processor will execute per
second. If you're running DB2 or think a zIIP might help, you can set
PROJECTCPU to YES (in IEAOPT00) and find out. You can also check the values for
the percentage of I/O interruptions to be processed through the test pending
interrupt. It should be 10,30. Also ERV - then number of CPU service units and
address space can absorb when it's possibly causing enqueue contentions. The
default is 500, which might be too low for your shop.

Good luck.

Anne R. Adams
DTI, Systems Engineering
(302) 298 - 3196