On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 11:40:49 -0800, Phil Smith <p...@voltage.com> wrote:

>Dumb Questions time!
>
>I've been trying to grok in fullness the various fields in the LDA
>(SYS1.MODGEN(IHALDA)). I've Googled everything I can think of and read all the
>docs I can find. I found
>http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1000078, which helps some,
>but I'm having trouble with answers to the following:
>

>1)      Definition of "extended user private storage". I think this means
>"memory above the line in the private (local) address space", i.e., the
>region, if it's a job, but it's never explicitly defined as such. I think this
>is the "Extended Region (ERGN)" on the drawing in the link above. Correct?

Yes

>2)      Definition of "user private storage". Correspondingly, I think this
>means "memory below the line in the private (local) address space", i.e., in
>the region; "Region (RGN)" on the drawing.

Yes

>3)      Is private memory "above the bar" tracked separately from memory above
>the line?

Yes.

>Or is it, but in some other control block?

Yes, see RSM Address Space Block Extension (RAX)   SYS1.MODGEN(IARRAX)

See my REXX sample - RXSTOR64 on my web site.

>Or can a non-system address space not use memory above the bar, despite having
>64-bit addressability? That last actually seems >like it might be the case,
>based on REGION=2047M being the max

No, anyone can use IARV64.  See MVS macros for details.

>Mostly I want to be able to report 31-bit memory usage below the line and
>above, without worrying about some ginormous definition making someone who's
>short on below-the-bar memory think they have a bunch left.

You can have a look at REXXSTOR on my web site as an example of
displaying LDA control block values.

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com