On 11/10/2012 12:10 PM, Thomas Conley wrote:
From what I can see, IBM announced the z10EC in February 2008, and the z10BC in October 2008. Consider that most clients did not get them for 6-12 months after the announcements, and the June 2012 end of life statement gives just a little over 3 years useful life. You can't even depreciate a mainframe over 5 years now, let alone 7. While I can appreciate that IBM is innovating the platform, economics like this is really putting the squeeze on many IBM customers. How about government, where procurement can delay new systems for years? This is a very disturbing trend in zSystem economics, which IBM should reverse but likely won't.

I guess I was researching this at the exact same time you were...

z10BC became first available in 4Q08 and was withdrawn from marketing after 2Q12; the life cycle of these machines was 3 1/2 years. By comparison, z9BC first became available in 2Q06 and was withdrawn from marketing after 2Q10. So, its life cycle was FOUR years!

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc