I had judged that there was little more to be said----or at any rate
little more for me to say---about this issue, but Mark Zelden has
changed my mind.

He wrote:

<begin extract>
I think the point was about how often they are done.  Quarterly?
Monthly? Weekly?  Daily?   I have never been at a production shop that
had a need to do them more often than monthly.  Maybe some hardware
vendors do them daily on a given system, I don't know.
<end extract>

because this does not seem to me to be the point at all.

To use a lawyer's word, we have stipulated/agreed that disaster
can/will ensue without serialization.  Mark's view is that, this
conceded, the important question is not whether it will occur but how
often.

He and I disagree about this.  My view is that if the unfortunate can
occur it will occur and at a disagreeably inappropriate time.

Moreover, the substantive question at issue is a curiously trivial
one.  There are z/OS macros available for implementing the
serializations required here.  Any sysprog competent to chase
control-block pointers at all is presumably also competent to use
these macros.   Why then court the unfortunate by refusing to do so?

Russian roulette is a diseased pastime, all but independently of
whether the probability that a trial will have an unfortunate outcome
is 1/8 or 1/4096.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA