I don't quite  understand this thread, but I find it interesting in that I'd
like to understand it.

Are you saying, that you can put some sort of "lock" on a control block, so
that when you update it, you know that nobody else has updated it?

I am not sure if this is apples and giraffes, but I wrote a Rexx exec and ISPF
panel to show ASCB and related control blocks for a given job that shows all
about timeouts.

I hit the enter, and my Rexx and ISPF fields change accordingly.

Sometimes I hit enter and see weird garbage in there.  No matter.  I just hit
enter again and all is well.  I assume the garbage in some of the fields is due
to the control blocks being in some unknown state.

But if I hit enter and see, for example, 5 things, and somebody updates and
adds one or takes one away, then when I hit enter again, I'll see the updated
list.  I see how long I have to wait for a 522, or I see that the job is exempt
from timeout.  That won't change.  If someone adds something new just a
millisecond from when I look for it, how is that different from updating a
database table?  You might say to lock it for update.  I may say that I want to
read the row, then lock it and update it just if it is has changed.  In that
case I know if it has changed.

I'm not trying to be smart, I only want to understand what is the real issue.
The only thing I can think of is that if multiple control blocks are chained
together, or somehow are related, that I don't want to read one while the other
is updated.

Can I read these control blocks with Rexx?  If so, maybe I'll give it a go when
I have some free moments.

Kind regards,
Lindy