From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Gilmore
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2012 8:41 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: "New" way to do UCB lookups

Lindy,

I have received several private, offlist requests for elucidations of the same
sort you make.

I suggest that you read the descriptions of the ENQ and DEQ macros in

z/OS MVS: Assembler Services Reference, Volume 1 (ABEND-HSPSERV), SA22-7606.

Some of the computer science literature talks instead about serialization and
semaphores (Dijkstra's term, a metaphoric hijacking of the European word for
what Americans usually call 'traffic lights').

Also worth looking at are the discussions of the Test and Set (TS) instruction
and its more powerful brethren, the most recent of which is Perform Locked
Operation (PLO),  in z/Architecture Principles of Operation, SA22-7832.

These notions are important ones.  What needs to be emphasized about them is
that they all make use of a mixture of conventions and hardware help.  If you
and I and others agree to adhere to a set of such conventions, then we can
safely share access to serially reusable resources.  If not, not.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA