From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Charles Mills
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 12:12 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is there any z/OS API to get byte file size for non-VSAM, non-zFS,
non-database files?

[External Email. Exercise caution when clicking links or opening attachments.]

Right, it appears to be magic -- "just say EXECIO and presto there's the record
count in STEM.0" -- but under the covers it is reading through the whole
dataset and counting.

Rexx is all 31-bit, right? So the limit would presumably be something in the 1
to 2 GB range. That is not an implausibly huge dataset. 1GB is what? 800
cylinders or somewhat more, depending on blocking, short tracks, etc.?

Charles