That's a Rexx I never tried, probably out of fear of the "OO" designation :)

On 5/15/2020 11:11 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
EXECIO is in the hostemu environment of oorexx.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Tom
Brennan [t...@tombrennansoftware.com]
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 12:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is there any z/OS API to get byte file size for non-VSAM, non-zFS,
non-database files?

That's one of my favorite things about Rexx (although I hear EXECIO is
not really part of Rexx and I know it's not in PC versions like Regina).
   I've used it on some very large datasets, and yeah, you wait a bit for
the data to load.  But once data is in the stem variable, things are
really fast and (another favorite of mine) you can easily do control
breaks by peeking 1 record ahead or back.