All,

We have some relatively new Netview automation to process inbound FTP
processing that is written in REXX, and over time we’ve seen Netview abends
with 878’s, etc.   IBM indicates we may have a problem below the line,
specifically SP0 being exhausted.   They are seeing a lot junk that looks like
workpack volser’s PCWxxxx, temp dataset names, etc.   It is my belief that it
is the remnants of calling IDCAMS to do our FTP processing to create special
dataset catalog entries amongst other stuff and cleanup is not occurring that
over time causes our problems.

Here is the bit of rexx code I am looking at.   Look at how IDCAMS is being
called in line 318.  I’m not a REXX coding expert by any means.  Is that the
equivalent of just a standard CALL? Or like entering TSO IDCAMS at a command
line in TSO?  I’m wondering if there is a better way to call IDCAMS?   I see
references to LINK, ATTACH, LINKMVS, ATTCHMVS, LINKPGM, ATTCHPGM.  I’m
embarrassed to say that I do not know the nuances of each of these, and when
appropriate to use.   Do any of these create a new environment, do the
function, and then tear the environment down upon exit?  It seems like this is
what we need to use to fix this issue.

000308 /*                                                                  */
000309 /*  We have now created all the IDCAMS statements, we now write them*/
000310 /*  to our dataset to be used as SYSIN for IDCAMS command           */
000311 /*                                                                  */
000312   Say "Number of Queued Lines is " QueuedLines
000313      Address MVS 'EXECIO 'QueuedLines' DISKW 'Infile' (FINIS'
000314 /*                                                                  */
000315 /*  The IDCAMS statement calls IDCAMS using the 2 DD names listed   */
000316 /*  after the command as SYSIN and SYSPRINT                         */
000317 /*                                                                  */
000318      IDCAMS Infile Outfile
000319   Say "IDCAMS RC for File Rename = " RC
000320      If RC > 4 Then
000321         Do
000322           Address MVS 'EXECIO * DISKR 'Outfile' (STEM Prtrex. FINIS'
000323           do xy = 1 to Prtrex.0
000324              Say "Idcams output = " Prtrex.xy
000325           end
000326         end
000327   "free fi("Infile")"
000328   "free fi("Outfile")"