From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Robert Garrett
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 10:08 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: FW: REXX assistance

**CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected
emails**

Somehow, I managed to send this suggestion to the wrong mailing list a few days
ago – my bad…

Hi Dave,
I've seen that kind of problem before myself invoking various IBM utilities
repeatedly.  A lot of them assume that they will always run at the jobstep
level and don't ever freemain their SP0 storage, instead "assuming" step
termination will handle it for them.  That can cause problems like the one
you're seeing (if you’re repeatedly calling them from a parent REXX exec).  The
solution I've implemented in the past is to invoke those utilities using
ATTCHMVS, which will run then under a new TCB which thus will obtain its own
SP0 storage. When the utility finishes and that TCB gets detached,  that
separate SP0 storage will get freemain'ed even if the utility doesn't clean up
after itself, thus avoiding the problem.   I also wrote my own custom version
of ATTCHMVS that allowed me to pass a loadlib to be used as a TASKLIB on the
ATTACH. In my case, I was repeatedly invoking the CICS DFHCSDUP utility and
needed to be able to call different releases of it dynamically from the parent
exec.
Try using ATTCHMVS and see if that doesn't solve your problem.
Rob