From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2020 7:34 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Friday Follies/Why won't this work?/TSO Rant #387

On Sun, 24 May 2020 14:26:51 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>'MyCart01' (as written, in camel-case) was my intended CART and it is a valid
>CART: a CART may have any 64-bit value. The problem was that the CONSOLE
>command uppercased it to MYCART01. Yes, had I written my Rexx in such a way as
>to uppercase it the problem would have disappeared, but two wrongs don't make
>a right.

It's far overdue that interfaces quit forcing the limitations of the
029 keypunch on users.  Decades ago, I learned that if I need
upper case I press the SHIFT key; otherwise I should get what
I type.

It's fine for functions to be case insensitive, case sensitive, or
monocase.  It's wrong for upstream processes to second-guess
-- they're too often wrong.

And it was a design error for Binder to provide a CASE UPPER
option.  CASE MIXED, compatible with Linkage Editor, should
always be in force.

-- gil