On Tue, 26 May 2020 19:42:31 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Well, in this case the hammer is the reverse function;
>/\.([#$@[:upper:][:digit:]]{1,8})\n/, despite the awkward syntax, is still
>cleaner.

I was more thinking of the OP's requirement for DFSORT as the hammer.
And Sri supplied a massive sledgehammer.

Don't forget '-' is sorta legal in data set names; more characters if
the DSN needn't be catalogued.  And Sri's example contained a node
longer than 8 bytes.  And what if there are characters further to the
right that must be preserved?  But I assumed a terminating ' '.  So:

awk '{
    print( substr( $0, 1, 50) substr( $0, RSTART + 1, 8 ) substr( $0, 59 ) ) }'

>Wasn't there a song on the 1960's, Lexity, Lex, YACCitty YACC?

-- gil