On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 16:06:56 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>No, I know of no computer language that treats "smart" quotes as equivalent to
>"dumb" quotes. Did not know you were referring to code samples. You meant
>smart quotes in code samples in IBM manuals? That is just flat out wrong,
>wrong, wrong. It's just as wrong as if they used ENQUEUE rather than ENQ in an
>example -- it looks better too. The point of code samples is not to "look
>good."

OK.  I chiseled a bit.  IIRC more precisely, a manual used something
like __BPX__SHAREAS rather than _BPX_SHAREAS because the
underscored blanks nearly vanished in the proportional font used
in the manual. It was a deliberate decision by the writer, not
autocorrection by the tool.  However nice it appeared in the .pdf
it failed when I pasted it into a script.

-- gil