> Why? Because "pure" ASCII is ordained somewhere?

Stop with the straw dummies. Rebut arguments that somebody actually made and
people will take you more seriously.

> Should they turn off their Hebrew or Chinese names too?

Yes, for variables names in code samples where the language doesn't allow them.
Consider these two lines in a PL/I program for a compiler that supports
Unicode. The first is legitimate; the second is not.

foo = bar /* פּלוני Good */;
foo = פּלוני /* Bad! */;

> Unicode rulz, dude!

Even if that were true it wouldn't justify using the *WRONG* Unicode code point.

> Readability rulz!

No. Work with a tech writer who turns your broken English into polished prose
that no longer matches the product and you'll understand why.

> "Dumb" quotes are an artifact of typewriters and 6- or 7-bit character sets.

There's nothing smart about using invalid syntax in code samples, and even
where it's only a style issue there are millennials who don't agree with you.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3