I have used FDRPAS, TDMF which were all vendor compatible, and Dell
z/OS Migrator which must have their hardware as the target.  Most
movement was done with the system running at full speed.  The
different software packages did require different software products to
be down to SWAP their files.  Did require IPL to use new volumes.
25TB 3000 volumes in two days from an IBM F20 / 800 source with vendor
assistance for the z/OS migrator to Dell / EMC VMAX.  TDMF was in
house and did as 'time as available' task.  Consolidating onto bigger
volumes is what takes time and we would have exceeded UCB count limit
on LCU without it. But you are unlikely to be attempting that process.
So your purchase should include software to move your data while the
system is operating.

Probably a 90 day window once the hardware is operating, with one week
vendor assistance (onsite / webex).  For the mainframe, I would
suggest a z13 so you can IPL your old system with 31 bit IPL text that
switches to 64 bit operation.  Its old so you should be able to get a
cheap one but with a maintenance contract.  And watch the
compatibility on FICON cards / directors.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 3:04 PM Grant Taylor
<0000023065957af1-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On 6/26/20 3:16 AM, R.S. wrote:
> > 3. 18 months is close to half of typical service contract for new dasd
> > array. Still we don't know how sure is 18 months - maybe it would be 36
> > months? Even 12 months means the dasd array would have some residual value.
>
> n00b questions:
>
> 1)  Is it possible to migrate from old DASD to new DASD?
>
> 2)  How disruptive would this be to the day-to-day operation of the
> existing mainframe?
>
> 3)  What sort of prerequisites exist for this?
>
> I have some experience with this in the Open Systems environment, but
> I'd like to know more about how such a storage migration would be done
> in the mainframe world.
>

> --
> Grant. . . .
> unix || die