From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 12:07 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: z/OS use of "legacy" programming languages

Frank Swarbrick asked:
>Is Pascal also still supported/used?

IBM VS Pascal (5668-767) is still IBM marketed and supported:

https://www.ibm.com/support/lifecycle/#/details?q45=M618799U16404L24

The New Stanford Pascal Compiler is also available:

https://github.com/StanfordPascal/Pascal
http://bernd-oppolzer.de/job9.htm

Here are some more classic programming language compilers that are
currently IBM marketed and supported, in no particular order:

APL2 (5688-228)
https://www.ibm.com/support/lifecycle/#/details?q45=D543769I30278S34

BASIC (5665-948)
https://www.ibm.com/support/lifecycle/#/details?q45=G568183M36263P96

RPG II
This one is a little extra obscure, but yes, it's still IBM marketed and
supported. The IBM Program Number is 5740-RG1. The z/VSE variant
(5746-RG1) is listed more visibly here:
https://www.ibm.com/us-en/marketplace/dosvs-rpg-ii
There's a little bit of confusion about RPG in large part because there
was a relatively briefly marketed RPG compiler introduced years later
called "IBM SAA RPG/370." This specific, very different compiler
(5688-127) was withdrawn from marketing and is no longer IBM supported,
but the previously introduced RPG II compiler is still an active IBM
product.

IBM's Prolog, Lisp, Ada, Algol, Smalltalk, and COMTRAN compilers are
withdrawn and past their End of Service dates, but it's likely there are
some of these compiled programs still running, even with some periodic
code changes. In some cases there may be available and supported
programming language offerings from other parties. Some may target Java
Virtual Machine (JVM) and/or z/OS Container Extensions (zCX) runtimes.

There's a supported JOVIAL compiler available for z/OS and z/VM:
http://www.seadeo.com/IBM_Compilers.htm

If there's some other programming language's status you'd like me to
research, please ask. And obviously IBM markets and supports C, C++, REXX,
COBOL, PL/I, Java, EGL, HLASM, and several other programming languages
(JavaScript, Swift, Python, IBM Migration Utility....)

Timothy Sipples
I.T. Architect Executive
Digital Asset & Other Industry Solutions
IBM Z & LinuxONE
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com